Saturday, June 16, 2012

i climbed a mountain, nbd

yesterday, I went with Drummer and her friend Mariah to Dog Mountain. It was very sweet of them to invite me. This makes the second mountain that I have stupidly climbed in my Vans sk8his. My legs fucking HURT today. We took the easier trail, but the first .7 mile and the last mile were iinnnttteennnseee. The view from the summit was pretty serious, and I got to have a Heidi moment as we traipsed through all of the wild flowers. I would never have gone if I'd known how steep it would be, so I'm glad that no one told me. Now i've got a lovely sunburn and aching hamstrings, so it seems like summer's started. I also ate springrolls on top of a mountain (first time!!!) and found this perfect combination of outdoorsy spirit/internet appreciation carved into a tree:



oh! there was also this amazing aspect to the experience: So there's strawberries growing up there, and the sun hits the strawberries and pine needles, releasing the most heavenly smell i've ever experienced. Seriously, and sorry for gushing, but it blew my fucking mind. 
the heidi fantasy
it was higher than it looks!
The hike was 3.1 miles (?) each way, but it took forever, because we had to pause at the top and talk about facebook at the top....and also because it was difficult (though apparently not for the gads of senior citizens bouncing up the trail like mountain goats. i'm not sure if that's what i want for myself at 80, but i'm glad they've got it). We stopped at Multnomah falls on the way back, which was also nice, but I was exhausted and wanted to shower.


too tired right now to write in any kind of interesting day, goodnight!


No comments: